Connect with us

NEWS

Lindsey Graham Says Sending Cash To Struggling Americans Is a ‘Waste Of Money’

Published

on

The Senate on Wednesday passed the House’s coronavirus aid package, sending it to President Trump, who signed it upon arrival. Senators voted 90-8 on the bill that passed the House last week amid growing concerns about the widespread coronavirus outbreak in the United States that has already bludgeoned the economy.

The vote on the second package comes as senators are already working on “phase three,” with Senate Republicans wanting to pass that next week. The third coronavirus bill is expected to include help for impacted small businesses, paid sick leave and direct cash payments for Americans.

Some GOP senators have bristled over the paid sick leave provisions and sending cash to Americans.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., called the proposal a waste of money.

“It won’t help the economy just throwing money at a problem,” he said, according to Salon. “I don’t know why giving a thousand dollars on top of their paycheck makes any sense now because there’s no economy to participate in. I’d rather take that money and shore up health care systems . . . I don’t think people are looking for a one-time check from the government.”

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) railed against the bill, as well.

“There is a herd mentality around this building right now where a lot of normally smart people are literally saying things like: The most important thing is to be fast, even if the ideas that are being advocated for are not really ready for prime time and can’t really withstand the scrutiny of debate. That is a really dumb idea,” Sasse said.

But Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin warned Senate Republicans on Tuesday that the unemployment rate could hit 20% as a result of the coronavirus crisis.

“We’re looking at sending checks to Americans immediately,” Mnuchin said.

RELATED: 8 GOP Senators Vote Against Paid Sick Leave Because ‘It’s Too Expensive’.

Click to comment

NEWS

‘I can’t In Good Countenance Continue To Show This’: Fox News Cut Away From Trump’s Press Sec. For Pushing Baseless Claims Of Election Fraud

Published

on

Fox News anchor Neil Cavuto on Monday cut away from a press briefing featuring Kayleigh McEnany, who is both the White House press secretary and a Trump campaign spokesperson, as she continued to push Donald Trump’s baseless claims of election fraud.

“She’s charging the other side as welcoming fraud and illegal voting. Unless she has more details to back that up, I can’t in good countenance continue to show you this,” Cavuto said as he cut off the press conference, pushing back on what he described as “explosive” charges from McEnany.

“Not so fast,” Cavuto added.

McEnany suggested, without evidence, that Democrats welcomed “fraud” and “illegal voting” in the 2020 election.

“We want every legal vote to be counted,” McEnany said, echoing President Donald Trump’s unsubstantiated claim that votes for President-elect Joe Biden were illegal.

Though multiple major news outlets, including Fox News, have declared Biden the projected winner of the 2020 election, Trump has refused to concede and is rejecting the results, claiming that he won the election.

Meanwhile, a number of world leaders have congratulated Biden on his victory, including UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Even before the end of voting on November 3, the president repeatedly signaled he would claim the election was “rigged” against him if he lost, but there is no evidence to substantiate such claims.

Watch Nei Cavuto’s segment below:

Continue Reading
Advertisement